Amazon Cloud Services — Tutorial for BeginnersNovember 20, 2019
For most of us, the Amazon Cloud Services might not be a new thing. But still, there exists a lot for whom this is like a strange aspect. Not to fret you all. Today, we are here with a tutorial of Amazon Cloud Services. Here, we are going to cover every relevant term and more for you all. So, let’s get started.
What is Cloud Computing?
The term referred to as saving and accessing the data over the internet is Cloud Computing. It doesn’t choose the hard disk of your personal computer to store any data. It permits you to access the data even from a remote server.
What is AWS?
A platform that provides reliable, flexible, scalable, cost-effective, and easy-to-use cloud computing solutions.
It’s an easy-to-use and comprehensive computing platform given by Amazon. The platform is created with a blend of the platform as a service (PaaS), the infrastructure as a service (IaaS), and the packaged software as a service (SAAS) contributions.
Significant AWS Services
AWS presents a huge range of distinct business purpose cloud-based global products. The products embrace databases, storage, networking, analytics, mobile, enterprise applications, development tools, along with a pay-as-you-go model of pricing.
Let’s start with imperative AWS services as follows:
AWS Computer Services:
Below, are the Cloud Compute Services that Amazon offers-
- LightSail: A cloud computing tool, LightSail deploys and manages the computer, networking capabilities, and storage needed to run applications.
- E2C (Elastic Compute Cloud): A virtual machine, E2C in the cloud holds OS-level control. It can be run whenever one wants.
- Elastic Beanstalk: This tool provides provisioning and automated deployment of resources akin to an extremely scalable production site.
- AWS Lambda: This service permits you to run the functions in the cloud. It’s a big cost-saver as the payment is required to be paid only when the function is executed.
- EKS (Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes): It permits you to Kubernetes on the Amazon cloud environment without any installation.
- Inspector: It’s an agent that one can install on his virtual machines that states any security vulnerabilities.
- IAM (Identity & Access Management): This AWS service is a secure cloud security service that assists you to manage the users, assign the policies, form the groups to manage the multiple users.
- Certificate Manager: It provides free SSL certificates for your domains that Route53 manages.
- Cloud Directory: This service permits one to develop cloud-native, flexible, directories for handling hierarchies of data with multiple dimensions.
- WAF (Web Application Firewall): This security service permits the application-level protection and enables you to block the SQL injection and assists you to block the cross-site scripting attacks.
- KMS (Key Management Service): It’s a managed service that assists you to develop and handle the encryption keys that permits you to encrypt your data.
- Shield: It is managed DDoS (distributed Denial of Service Protection) that provides safeguards against the web apps running on AWS.
- Organizations: You can make the groups of AWS accounts employing this service to handle the security and the automation settings.
- GuardDuty: It permits the threat detection to safeguard your AWS accounts and the workloads.
- Macie: It provides a service of data visibility that aids to protect and classify your sensitive important content.
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS): It bestows block-level storage to utilize with Amazon EC2 instances. Amazon EBS volumes stay independent from the instance’s life and are network-attached.
- Amazon Glacier: It is a remarkably low-cost storage service that permits fast and secure storage for data backup and archiving.
- Amazon Storage Gateway: This service is linking on-premises software apps with cloud-based storage. It permits secure integration between the on-premises of company and storage infrastructure of AWS.
- Migration: It’s used to physically transfer the data between AWS and your datacenter.
- DMS (Database Migration Service): DMS service can be employed to migrate on-site databases to AWS. It assists you to migrate from one sort of database to another like Oracle to MySQL.
- Snowball: It is a small app that permits you to carry the terabytes of data, inside and outside of the AWS environment.
- SMS (Server Migration Service): It permits to migrate on-site servers to AWS quickly and easily.
- Amazon DynamoDB: A fully managed, fast NoSQL database service permits cost-effective storage and data retrieval. It also enables you to assist any level of the request traffic.
- Amazon RDS: This Database AWS service can be set up easily, operate and also scale a relational database in the cloud.
- Amazon ElastiCache: It is a service that makes it simple to operate, deploy, and scale an in-memory cache residing in the cloud.
- Amazon Redshift: Amazon’s data warehousing solution that allows you to employ to attain complicated OLAP queries.
- Neptune: It is a reliable, fast, and scalable service of the graph database.
- Application Services
- SWF (Simple Workflow Service): This service assists you to coordinate both the human-led and automated tasks.
- Step Functions: It’s a way of visualizing what is carrying out in your app and what distinct microservices it’s utilizing.
- SQS (Simple Queue Service): You can employ this service to decouple your apps and it’s a pull-based service.
- SNS (Simple Notification Service): This service sends the notifications in the form of SMS and email-based in the given AWS services.
- Elastic Transcoder: This tool assists one to alter the format and resolution of the video to support distinct devices like smartphones, tablets, and laptops of distinct resolutions.
- CloudFormation: A way of fliping the infrastructure into the cloud. One can use the templates for offering an entire production environment in minutes.
- CloudWatch: It assists you to observe AWS environments such as RDS instances, EC2, and CPU usage. It also instills alarms relying on many metrics.
- OpsWorks: The service permits you to automate Pupper/Chef deployments on AWS environments.
- CloudTrail: It permits an easy methodology of auditing AWS resources and helps one to log all the changes.
- Service Catalog: This service assists the large enterprises to authorize which services will be used by the user and which won’t.
- Config: This service monitors the environment. It sends alerts about the alterations when you break specifically defined configurations.
- System Manager: This AWS service permits you to arrange your resources. It permits you to recognize the issues and work on them.
- AWS Auto Scaling: The service permits you to scale your resources automatically up and down depending on the given CloudWatch metrics.
- Managed Services: It provides the management of AWS infrastructure that permits to target on the apps.
- Athena: This analytic service permits perm SQL queries to find the files on your S3 bucket.
- ElastcSearch: Akin to CloudSerch, it offers advanced features like application monitoring.
- CloudSearch: One should use this service to develop a fully managed search engine for the website.
- Kinesis: It assists you to analyze and stream real-time data at a massive scale.
- EMR (Elastic Map Reduce): It is mainly utilized for big data processing such as Splunk, Spark, Hadoop, and so on.
- QuickSight: A business analytical tool that aids you to craft visualizations for data in a dashboard in Amazon Web Services. For instance, DynamoDB, S3, etc.
- Data Pipeline: Permits you to move the data from one spot to another. For instance, from DynamoDB to S3.
- CodeCommit: It’s version control service of AWS that permits you to save your code and other assets in the cloud privately.
- CodeStar: It is a cloud-based service for developing, managing, and performing with many software development projects on the AWS.
- CodeBuild: It’s the developer service of Amazon that assists to automate the procedure of developing and compiling the code.
- CodePipeline: It assists in creating a deployment pipeline such as building, testing, deployment on development, authentication, and production environments.
- CodeDeploy: It’s an automatic way of deploying the code on EC2 instances.
- Cloud9: It is the Integrated Development Environment for scripting, running, and debugging the code in the cloud.
Internet of Things
- IoT Device Management: It permits you to manage the IoT devices at any scale.
- IoT Core: It is managed service of cloud AWS that permits connected devices such as light bulbs, cars, sensor grids, to interact securely with the cloud apps and other devices.
- Amazon FreeRTOS: This real-time OS for the microcontrollers assists you to link IoT devices into the cloud or on the local server.
- IoT Analytics: It is helpful to perform the analysis of data accumulated by IoT devices.
Deployment & Management
- Amazon CloudWatch: This tool monitors AWS resources such as Amazon RDS DB instances and EC2. It also permits to observe the custom metrics developed by the user’s services and apps.
- AWS ClkoudTrail: It records the AWS API calls and transfers backlog files to you.
- AWS CloudHSM: This service permits you to meet the regulatory, corporate, and contractual, compliance needs for managing the data security by employing the Hardware Security Module (HSM) appliances inside the AWS environment.
- Chime: It can be employed for video conferencing and online meetings.
- Alexa for Business: It empowers your company with voice, employing Alexa. It will aid in allowing us to build custom voice skills for the organization.
- WorkMail: It permits you to transfer and get the business emails.
- WorkDocs: It aids to store the documents in the cloud.
- Cognito: It permits users to signup employing his or her social face.
- Mobile Hub: It permits one to add, design, and configure for the mobile apps.
- AWS AppSync: Fully managed GraphQL service, it provides offline programming functions and real-time synchronization of data.
- Device Farm: It assists you to enhance the apps’ quality by rapidly testing various mobile devices.
Desktop & App Streaming
- AppStream: A method of streaming desktop apps in the web browser to your users. For instance, employing MS Word in Google Chrome.
- WorkSpaces: It is a VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) which allows utilizing the remote desktops in the cloud.
AR & VR (Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality)
- Sumerian: A toolset offers top-quality virtual reality feel on the web. It permits to develop interactive 3D scenes and post as the website for users to access.
- Polly: The text-to-speech service of AWS permits you to develop the audio versions of your notes.
- Lex: This tool assists to make chatbots rapidly.
- SegeMaker: It permits to develop, deploy, and train machine learning models at any scale.
- Rekognition: It is a face recognition service of AWS that assists one to identify the object and faces in the videos and images.
- Translate: It is much akin to Google Translate that permits you to translate the text in one or the other language.
- Transcribe A speech-to-text service of AWS that provides affordable and high-quality transcriptions.
- Pinpoint: It assists you to know the users and engage with them.
- Amazon Connect: It permits to create the customer care center in the cloud.
- SES (Simple Email Service): It assists you to transfer bulk emails to the customers at a relevantly cost-effective price.
- GameLift: AWS manages this service. One can employ it to host the dedicated game servers. It permits you to scale smoothly without taking the game offline.
Applications of AWS services
The Amazon Web Services are employed for computing process widely such as:
- Application hosting/SaaS hosting
- Website hosting
- Media Sharing (Image/ Video)
- Search Engines
- Content delivery and Media Distribution
- Development and test environments
- Storage, backup, and disaster recovery
- Academic Computing
- Social Networking
- Mobile and Social Applications
Best practices of AWS
- You require to craft for failure, but nothing will go down.
- It’s imperative to decouple all the components before employing AWS services.
- You necessitate keeping the dynamic data near to compute and the static data near to the user.
- It is imperative to acknowledge performance and security tradeoffs.
- It pays for computing calibre by the method of hourly payment.
- It makes a habit of a one-time payment for all the instances you want to reserve and to get an important discount on an hourly basis.
Advantages of AWS
Let’s check out the pros of employing AWS services:
- It permits the organizations to utilize the programming models, databases, operating systems, and architectures that are already familiar.
- A cost-effective service that permits you to pay for what you employ, without long-term or up-front commitments.
- You will not need to spend the money on maintaining and running data centers.
- It provides fast deployments.
- You can add or remove the capacity easily.
- You are permitted cloud access rapidly with limitless capability.
- Total ownership cost is much less as compared to any dedicated/private servers.
- Permits centralized management and billing.
- Permits hybrid calibre.
- Permits you to deploy the app in various regions all around the work with a few clicks.
Disadvantages of AWS
- If you want intensive and immediate assistance, you have picked for paid support packages.
- Amazon Web Service may hold some general cloud computing problems when you move to a cloud. For instance, limited control, downtime, and backup protection.
- Hardware-level alterations happen to the app that may not provide the best usage and performance of the apps.
- AWS sets the default limits on the resources that change from region to region. These resources embrace images, snapshots, and volumes.
So, after presenting Amazon Cloud services in-front of you, we hope you found them informative. This tutorial is best for beginners and the one who is not aware of such services. Please share your reviews in the comment below on how you find this blog post.